So, how are we all adjusting to what people are calling the “new normal”?
Stores are closed, grocery stores are empty, and the local hiking trails are packed (I’m not going currently, to help comply with social distancing guidelines).
Big events we were excited for are postphoned, or even cancelled.
Dealing with an uncertain job schedule and future feels stressful.
Getting cabin fever on a daily basis.
All of these things were beginning to pile up, making it difficult to adjust to sometimes.
Then I had begun to shift my perspective.
While my first instinct was to focus on what we CANNOT do, I had decided to reverse my outlook, and begin to focus on the things that we CAN do during this health crisis…
- Keep in touch frequently with family, and the people we care about.
- Communicating with family and friends about their needs, and use my free time to help them however possible.
- Get that list of projects done around the house, that typically fall victim to lack of time (or procrastination!)
- Organize my online photo libraries (they always need some serious organization, don’t they?).
- Rebuild my website to the setup that I had always wanted, but seemed to have trouble finding the time (P.S. just finished, feedback is welcomed in the comments!).
- Go for a walk in an isolated area.
- Finally binge watch the shows I’ve had in my watchlists since the the birth of online streaming.
- Stay consistent with my workouts at home.
- Learn the songs on guitar I have had on my list all this time (apologies to my neighbors).
- Catch up on my Lightroom photo library from previous years’ adventures, and get them posted to my website pages.
You see what I mean? The list goes on and on.
The things that I CAN do suddenly took center stage to the things I CANNOT do, then I felt my motivation and drive come back.
I began to appreciate everything I have, and less concerned about the things I don’t have, during this necessary adjustment to our lifestyles.
I just wanted to share this insight……it’s a very simple concept, but it took me some time to see it this way, and my spirits picked up almost immediately.
Hope this is inspiring in some way, I am planning to begin posting weekly updates such as this.
How are you adjusting to things? Please provide feedback in the comments below!